Why I Love Farmville — Doug Stanley
Published 11:16 am Tuesday, November 15, 2022
Prince Edward County Administrator Doug Stanley joins us this month to share some of his favorite memories about Farmville and the surrounding area.
1. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN FARMVILLE AND WHAT’S THE FIRST THING YOU REMEMBER NOTICING ABOUT THE AREA?
I started my position as County Administrator in November 2020 and moved my family to Prince Edward in July 2021. The first thing I noticed is how everyone in the community seems to be connected.
2. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE FARMVILLE MEMORY?
The support my family received while my wife was in the hospital with COVID.
3. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE FARMVILLE GROW OR CHANGE?
The Farmville/Prince Edward community has so much to offer. Among the biggest complaints I hear are lack of housing and shopping opportunities and employment options. Working with our Board, IDA, and community partners like Longwood, HSC, and Centra, we are working to address these issues and I am hopeful in the coming years we will be able to provide options and opportunity for our residents.
4. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE FARMVILLE TO PEOPLE NOT FROM HERE?
A warm and friendly college community with a healthy and vibrant downtown.
5. IF YOU HAD TO LEAVE FARMVILLE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD, WHAT WOULD YOU MISS THE MOST?
The sense of community pride…people are proud of being a progressive, diverse, and inclusive community.