Letter to Editor — Say no to slaughterhouse
Published 2:42 pm Friday, April 1, 2022
To the Editor:
My family of four recently purchased our forever home in Darlington Heights. We chose this area because of the rural atmosphere. This neighborhood is a “vibe”, as they say. Neighbors are friends and communicate quickly, which should be evident by the rapid response via the petition to prevent a Special Use Permit (SUP) for a slaughterhouse on Darlington Heights Road.
The neighborhood opposes the SUP for a slaughterhouse on Darlington Heights Road. Because a SUP is required, this business has no legal right to exist on Darlington Heights Road.
The entity that requested a SUP states the reason for the application is that the cost prohibits the applicant’s ability put the business in the appropriately zoned area, where it legally belongs. Land prices have risen dramatically during the pandemic. We know, we just bought a farm in the residential, agriculturally-zoned Darlington Heights neighborhood.
For this business, I suggest that Prince Edward County, should the county decide that a slaughterhouse is something desired within the county limits, work with the applicant to find the land in the appropriately zoned area that does not require a SUP. I know this is in the works thanks to several of our neighbors — although this shouldn’t be on the residents of Darlington Heights to arrange. Regardless of the outcome, the Prince Edward County BOS should deny the SUP.
I was sad to hear a BOS member suggest that opposition of the slaughterhouse is racist. I agree that every person has the right to success yet zones exist to take care of everyone that can be affected. Also, slaughterhouses are notorious for racist practices. (1-6)
I cannot find evidence to support that a slaughterhouse will improve our neighborhood. I can find substantial evidence on the psychological and environmental concerns – of which the SUP application incorrectly states there are none. (7-10)
It is with respect and concern that I implore you to listen to the constituents that will be affected and deny this SUP.
1. Food Empowerment Project. Environmental Racism. 2022. Accessed March 5, 2022. https://foodispower. org/environmental-and-global/environmental-racism/
2. Leduff, Charlie. At a Slaughterhouse, Some Things Never Die; Who Kills, Who Cuts, Who Bosses Can Depend on Race. The New York Times. June 16, 2000. Accessed March 5, 2022. https://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/16/ us/slaughterhouse-some-things-never-die-who-kills-who-cuts-who-bosses-can-depend.html
3. Mercy For Animals. How the Meat Industry Thrives on Environmental Racism. August 3, 2020. Accessed March 5, 2022. https://mercyforanimals.org/blog/how-the-meat-industry-thrives-on-environmental/
4. Farm Sanctuary. The Issues: Social Justice. 2022. Accessed March 5, 2022. https://www.farmsanctuary.org/issue/ social-justice/
5. McNeal K. Divide and Slaughter: Bridging the Gap Between Animal Rights and Racial Justice Through an Analysis of the Link Between Slaughterhouses and Domestic Violence. Pitzer Senior Theses. 2021; 120. https://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/ viewcontent.cgi?article=1123&context=pitzer_theses
6. Thill, LA. Artistic Expressions of Vegan Women with Disturbed Eating Behavior and Body Image Distress. Expressive Therapies Dissertations. 2021;108. https://digitalcommons.lesley.edu/expressive_dissertations/108
7. Savin M, Bierbaum G, Schmithausen RM, et al. Slaughterhouse wastewater as a reservoir for extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL)-producing, and colistin-resistant Klebsiella spp. and their impact in a “One Health” perspective. Sci Total Environ. 2022;804:150000. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.150000
8. Slade J, Alleyne E. The Psychological Impact of Slaughterhouse Employment: A Systematic Literature Review [published online ahead of print, 2021 Jul 7]. Trauma Violence Abuse. 2021;15248380211030243. doi:10.1177/15248380211030243
9. Winders DJ, Abrell E. Slaughterhouse Workers, Animals, and the Environment: The Need for a Rights-Centered Regulatory Framework in the United States That Recognizes Interconnected Interests. Health Hum Rights. 2021;23(2):21-33.
10. Environment America. Slaughterhouses Are Polluting Our Waterways. 2021. Accessed March 5, 2022. https:// environmentamerica.org/feature/ame/ slaughterhouse-map