RVFD responds to equipment fire
The Rice Volunteer Fire Department (RVFD) responded to a fully involved equipment fire on Saturday, Nov. 9. According to Rice Fire Chief Wes Reames, the cause of the fire is believed to have been a battery shortage. Reames said the directional boring equipment was located in a field of crops when employees noticed that it was on fire around 9 a.m. on Gully Tavern Road in the Rice area. According to Reames, the equipment was completely destroyed. Farmville Fire Department also responded to the blaze.