Brush fire brings responders

Published 11:00 am Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A fire occurred in the wooded area to the right of Main Street Lanes at 2006 S. Main St. Friday, bringing responders from Farmville Fire Department, Farmville Police Department and Hampden-Sydney Volunteer Fire Department.

The fire, which was reported at 5:55 p.m., created smoke that could be seen on South Main Street.

Patrick Murphy, senior area forester with the Virginia Department of Forestry, said the cause of the fire was a cigarette that was set down in the area of the woods.

Email newsletter signup

The fire developed so easily “because of the very dry conditions,” Murphy said, noting strong winds and low humidity from a cold front passing through the area. “It makes for a prime condition for fire.”

He mentioned other instances of brush fires that have taken place in the area this week, encouraging people to be cautious when burning debris or other items.

Dean Farmer, chief of the Farmville Fire Department, confirmed that the individual who set down the cigarette was homeless and living in the wooded area.

Farmer said the department contacted the American Red Cross, which will be assisting the individual with clothing and other items. Farmer said temporary shelter could not be provided at this time due to lack of availability.