Sunday morning fire destroys home

Published 5:55 pm Sunday, September 3, 2017

One person was displaced when their home was destroyed following a grease fire in the residence’s kitchen Sunday morning.

The fire at the home on Grace Street in Farmville was reported at 11:42 a.m., according to Farmville Volunteer Fire Department Chief Dean Farmer. He said units were on scene in eight minutes.

“Upon arrival, they had heavy fire showing from the residence,” Farmer said. “One of our lieutenants, Lt. (Travis) Finch, established command, and the crews began an aggressive exterior fire attack.”

Email newsletter signup

He said home suffered severe damage and “considered to be a total loss.”

Regarding the cause of the blaze, Farmer said, “The resident stated that it started as a cooking fire, grease fire on the stove, and that was the cause of the fire.”

No injuries were reported.

Grace Street is located near Lancer Park, and parallels West Third Street.

Crews from Prospect Volunteer Fire Department, Hampden-Sydney Volunteer Fire Department and the Prince Edward Volunteer Rescue Squad assisted.

“The Red Cross was contacted, and the resident was able to stay with family members,” Farmer said.