Virso Road fire displaces one

Published 1:10 pm Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A woman is reportedly staying with family following a Dec. 21 kitchen fire at 1364 Virso Road.

Meherrin Volunteer Fire & Rescue Chief Andrew Tatum said two of his units and three from Keysville responded between 10:30-10:45 p.m.

“There was a wood stove in the kitchen,” Tatum said. “From what we saw and what we were told, it caught the floor on fire and fell through the floor.”

He said the fire burned up the kitchen and caused heat and smoke damage to the rest of the stick-built home.

“There were two small dogs in their pet carriers in the living room that didn’t make it,” Tatum said.

He said crews stayed on scene for about three hours.

“We got the fire under control in under 20 minutes,” he said. “We spent the rest of the time on salvage and checking on hot spots. We wanted to make sure we didn’t leave anything smoldering.”

Tatum said wood stoves are a rarity now.

“Not a whole lot of people use them because insurance companies won’t cover them,” he said.

Tatum said he contacted the Salvation Army on behalf of the tenant.

“But as far as I know, she staying with family living in the same area,” Tatum said.