Sheriff: Suspect went for deputy’s gun

Published 10:46 am Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Two Buckingham County sheriff’s deputies involved in the shooting and killing of 19-year-old Dyzhawn Perkins — who was unarmed during the incident — have been placed on administrative leave with pay.

The action is in accordance with the sheriff’s office’s policy, according to a press release from Sheriff William G. “Billy” Kidd Jr.

Email newsletter signup

“The deputies will not be identified until after the investigation into the shooting is completed,” he said in the release.

According to Kidd, Perkins attempted to obtain a deputy’s weapon during the alleged attack. “He crashed through a double-pane glass door to get to him and … knocked the man on the ground and got on top of him trying to get his gun away from him,” Kidd said.

Kidd said he requested the Virginia State Police investigate the incident “to provide an objective, independent investigative review of the matter.”

William G. "Billy" Kidd Jr.

William G. “Billy” Kidd Jr.

In the release, he asked for county residents “to be patient with the process and await the commonwealth’s attorney’s final ruling in the matter.”

“My prayers and heartfelt sympathies go out to all involved,” Kidd said. “A grand jury might have to get into it. We don’t know yet.”

“They haven’t given us that information yet,” Kidd said when asked if the alleged suspect and shooting victim was under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the incident.

Perkins, a senior at Buckingham County High School, served as a captain of the varsity football team for the last two seasons.

Kidd said in the release that two deputies responded to three separate calls concerning the same individual. “Deputies were led to an Arvonia residence where the deputies encountered the male subject … A struggle ensued and Perkins was shot. Despite attempts by deputies and medical personnel on scene, Perkins died as a result of his injuries,” Kidd said.

According to state police, Perkins attacked one of the deputies at 846 Penlan Road. “The deputy was knocked to the ground. Perkins, now on top of the deputy, continued to fight the deputy. The deputies ultimately fired at Perkins,” state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.

The alleged attack on the elderly couple took place at a separate location, Kidd said.

Perkins allegedly attacked two people inside Faulknier Country Store on Route 20 and assaulted an elderly couple before being shot on Penlan Road. Kidd said he didn’t know the extent of the injuries of the people in the store or the elderly couple.

One of the deputies involved was transported to the UVA Medical Center for injuries he sustained during the incident, which included cuts and scratches, according to Kidd.

Perkins, a 269-pound offensive lineman on the Knights varsity football team, was named to the First-Team Offense as an offensive lineman and First-Team Defense as a defensive lineman for the VHSL Group 2A All-State football team last season.

“Our Crisis Management Team met yesterday for about 1.5 hours to plan, as we customarily do, as to how to maneuver through the day to ensure the emotional support of our students as necessary,” said superintendent Dr. Cecil Snead on Wednesday — the first day of school since the shooting.

“These action plans also help our staff feel prepared and confident to move through the day,” Snead said.

He said that the high school administration is working with students in facilitating a memorial for Perkins.