Fire Damages LU Addition
FARMVILLE – Area firefighters responded to a fire at Longwood University's Bedford Hall art building addition Monday afternoon. One worker is reportedly being treated for smoke inhalation.
Longwood University Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications Dennis Sercombe at the scene as firefighters worked to put out the fire, reported – citing information that he had received – that shortly after 2 p.m. a small construction fire broke out in the upper level of the addition.
Sercomombe later issued a statement Monday saying, “initial reports indicate that the fire started from a welding operation that generated sparks which ignited some loose insulation.”
Firefighters from Farmville, Hampden-Sydney, Prospect, and Darlington Heights and the Prince Edward Rescue Squad responded to the scene.
“My understanding, there has been one person, a worker, is being treated for smoke inhalation,” Sercombe said.
He noted that for safety precaution the neighboring buildings have been evacuated-which include Wygal, Greenwood Library, and the Center for Communications Studies and Theater.
Sercombe reported Tuesday that at 5 p.m., all the buildings were reopened and the fire marshal released the buildings back to Longwood. A fire watch was posted overnight.