Update on meal options provided by PECPS
Prince Edward County Public Schools (PECPS) will provide meals to students through the week of May 18-22, PECPS Superintendent Dr. Barbara Johnson wrote in a recent letter to parents and guardians before outlining other details of the meal schedule.
She noted the school division is utilizing the U.S. Department of Agriculture Summer Food Service Program to provide bagged breakfast and lunch meals during the COVID-19 school closure.
Meals will be available to all children up to age 18 regardless of income level.
During spring break, which is scheduled for April 6-10, meals will be distributed only on Tuesday, April 7, between 10 a.m.-noon at the current locations, she stated.
A Monday, March 30, PECPS press release stated that the bags from that distribution will have enough meals for seven days.
“However, beginning April 13, 2020, the meal schedule will change,” Johnson noted in her letter.
Beginning the week of April 13, meals will be distributed twice a week — Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 10:00 a.m.-noon at the current designated locations, Johnson continued.
“This is a change from the five-days-a-week, Monday-through-Friday pickup,” the March 30 release stated.
Johnson wrote that the upcoming Tuesday distribution service will cover enough meals for breakfast and lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday’s distribution will include meals for Thursday-Monday (weekdays only).
The March 30 release stated that the meal service will end Thursday, May 21, at all locations.
Meals will be served “drive-thru style,” the release noted, so there will be no need to get out of the car.
An adult must be present with children when picking up meals, Johnson wrote.
“We can only provide meals for children who are present at the time of pickup,” she stated. “Please contact the middle school cafeteria at (434) 315-6111 if you have questions.”
Designated pickup locations are as follows:
• Prince Edward County Middle School bus loop — 1603 Zion Hill Road, Farmville
• Parkview Gardens Community Center parking lot — 204 Parkview Drive, Farmville
• Hampden-Sydney Volunteer Fire Department parking lot — 108 S. Boundary Road, Hampden Sydney
• Rice Volunteer Fire Department parking lot — 948 Rices Depot Road, Rice
• Meherrin Volunteer Fire & Rescue parking lot — 102 Moores Ordinary Road, Meherrin
• Prospect Volunteer Fire Department parking lot — 45 Campbell Hill Road, Prospect