• 72°

Election results

Polls have closed tonight in Prince Edward, Buckingham and Cumberland counties, ending what county registrars and those manning the polls said has been a busy Election Day.

See results below for unofficial voting results at Cumberland, Prince Edward and Buckingham as they come in:

Prince Edward

Both precincts have reported in connection to the board of supervisors race in District 1, with existing Supervisor Gene A. Southall winning with 622 votes, representing 71.09 percent of the vote. Peter Y. Gur received 247 votes, representing 28.23 percent of the vote. Six votes went to write-in candidates, for 0.69 percent of the vote.

Gene A. Southall

Southall applied to fill the Farmville 101 District Supervisor seat and was appointed by judges to fill it in May. The seat was previously held by the late Howard Simpson, who had served on the board for 27 years. He died Feb. 13.

Southall came to the position with a long history of public service in the county. He had served as Prince Edward County Sheriff for 24 years before retiring in 2000. He noted he has lived in the county for his entire life and in the Farmville 101 District for 12 years.

All precincts have reported for the Lockett District School Board candidate. The write-in candidate received 337 votes. Candidate Doug Farley was announced as the winner, receiving 100 votes, according to the registrar’s office Wednesday. Candidate Patricia Carter received 98 votes. The office cited that the remaining votes were either blank, or had different names written.

Running unopposed for Clerk of Court was existing Clerk D. Lynnette Coe, who received 6,132 votes, representing 98.13 percent of the vote with all 11 precincts reporting. There were 117 write-in votes, adding up to the remaining 1.87 percent.

All precincts have reported for the U.S. Senate race, as incumbent Democrat Tim Kaine won in the county with 55.82 percent of the vote, equally 3,892 votes. Republican Corey Stewart received 2,964 votes, good for 42.51 percent, while Libertarian Matt Waters garnered 111 votes, equaling 1.59 percent. There were five write-in votes.

Leslie Cockburn, the Democratic candidate for Virginia’s 5th Congressional District, won in the county with 3,864 votes, equaling 54.43 percent of the vote. Republican Denver Riggleman received 45.46 percent of the vote, which was 3,227 votes. There were eight write-in votes.

Buckingham

With all precincts reporting, Corey Stewart is taking the lead for Buckingham voters on the state senate at 3,249 votes, or 52.95 percent. Tim Kaine came second at 2,800 votes, or 45.63 percent. Matt Waters received 83, or 1.35 percent of the vote and there were four write-in votes.

Denver Riggleman III took the lead for Buckingham voters for the 5th Congressional District seat with 3,363 votes, or 55.08 percent of the vote. Leslie Cockburn took second at 2,736 votes, or 44.81 percent. There were seven write-ins.

Justin Midkiff

Justin Midkiff  won the Circuit Court Clerk seat with 2,598 votes, or 43.08 percent. Interim clerk Diane Blackburn came second with 1,665 votes, or 27.61 percent. C.T. “Nicci” Edmondston came third with 1,379 votes, or 22.87 percent. Sam Davis came fourth at 333 votes, or 5.52 percent and David Ball came fifth with 50 votes, or 0.83 percent of the vote. There were six write-in votes.

Cumberland
With all precincts reporting, Corey Stewart took the lead in Cumberland for the state senate, receiving 2,270 votes, or 54.12 percent. Tim Kaine received 1,850 votes or 44.11 percent. Matt Waters received 74, or 1.76 percent.
Denver Riggleman secured the vote in Cumberland for the 5th Congressional District seat, receiving 3,363 votes or 55.08 percent. Leslie Cockburn received
2,736 votes, or 44.81 percent. There were seven write-in votes.

Deidre Martin

Current Circuit Court Clerk Deidre Martin won the Circuit Court Clerk seat at 1,659 votes, or 40.86 percent. Eurika Tyree came second with 1,058 votes, or 26.06 percent. Susan Goodman Carden came third at 515 votes, or 12.68 percent. Mildred A. “Midge” Owens received 239 votes, or 5.89 percent. George L. “Lee” Dowdy, III received 229 votes, or 5.64 percent. Rodney A. Davenport received 189 votes, or 4.66 percent. Lundy H. “L. H.” Morgan, III  received 162 votes, or 3.99 percent. There were nine write-in votes.