All should follow John Morgan’s lead
We join many in Buckingham County and across the Heart of Virginia in mourning the passing of John Morgan. As noted elsewhere in today’s edition, Morgan served as a public educator for 33 years at numerous levels.
He was a sixth- and seventh-grade teacher, served as principal at Buckingham and Dillwyn primary schools and Arvonia Elementary School and retired as Buckingham County’s director of instruction in 1984. At Dillwyn, he helped establish the first Parent Teacher Association.
He was a World War II veteran, having served for three years after graduating from Buckingham Central High School in 1943. He spent one of his years of service in Germany. Afterward, he attended VPI and returned to Buckingham County in 1952 with his wife, Dorothy. They were, in the words of Historic Buckingham Inc. (HBI) President Martha Pennington Louis, “a match set” like “salt and pepper.”
Among Morgan’s notable achievements, he helped establish the Buckingham County Volunteer Rescue Squad, serving as its first treasurer and, later, president; worked on developing the Buckingham County Library; was a 50-year member of the Buckingham County Ruritan Club and more than 65-year member of Buckingham Lodge No. 242; and a lifetime HBI member.
In fact, he was the HBI’s first stewmaster before the village was even built. He also made “some pretty big donations” to the Village, according to Louis.
In looking back over John Morgan’s life and accomplishments — from education to the general community — we can be inspired to follow his lead.