• 57°

Fire temporarily closes Sprouse’s Garage

DILLWYN — Sprouse’s Garage could be closed up to four months following a fire that occurred on Jan. 12.

While little fire damage was reported, smoke damage caused the building to close, said Brian Pope, the business’ parts and sales manager.

“The fire started in the shop,” Pope said. “The wind was blowing, and it was blowing back down the chimney. And, I guess … it blew some hot coals from the front of the draft.”

He said the hot coals apparently caught a nearby woodpole on fire inside the building. “The whole woodpile went up in flames,” he said.

He said the fire burned from from 8:45 p.m. until 8:30 the next morning when employees put the fire out when they arrived for work.

“[It] ruined all the insulation … ceiling tiles had to come out, walls have got to come down to get the smoke smell out,” he said.

He said he hopes the business will reopen in two months.

No one was injured in the fire, Pope said.