H-SC falls short against Generals, 35-28

Published 11:28 am Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Hampden-Sydney football team came a yard short from tying the game against Washington & Lee with 12 seconds remaining, as the Generals made two goal line stops to take a 35-28 victory on Fulton Field.

The Generals remain perfect at 5-0 on the season and 2-0 in ODAC play; the Tigers drop to 3-2 and 1-1 in the conference. It was a game of runs with each team scoring back-to-back touchdowns twice. It was Washington & Lee, however, that got the go-ahead score on a Connor Chess 20-yard touchdown with 2:09 to play.

The Generals got off to the hot start, scoring the first two touchdowns of the game with Marshall Hollerith finding pay dirt on an eight-yard run less than four minutes into the game.

Email newsletter signup

Five minutes later, Chess scored his first touchdown of the game on a four-yard run.

Down 14-0, Hampden-Sydney’s offense stepped its game up, going 77 yards on 10 plays in three-and-a-half minutes and seeing Edgar Moore (Tallahassee, Fla./Maclay School) connect with Austin Perryman (Fairfax/Fairfax) for a 26-yard touchdown.

After the Tiger defense got a big stop, Moore threw the equalizing touchdown, hitting Cam Johnson (Dillwyn/Buckingham) for a 16-yard touchdown.

The Generals responded seven minutes later, going up 21-14 before intermission on a Walker Brand two-yard run.

Washington & Lee started the second half with the ball and capitalized, upping its lead to 28-14 on a Hollerith nine-yard run.

Just as they had done in the first half, the Tigers fired back. On the ensuing drive, they went 82 yards in 11 plays to see Moore and Johnson connect again – this time from 21 yards out.

The Tiger defense maintained the momentum, forcing Washington & Lee to punt. The offense did not score on the next drive, but forced the Generals to start their next drive on their own one-yard line, courtesy a 41-yard punt from Moore.

After a three-and-out from the defense, it took Kyree Koonce (Charlottesville/Monticello) just two plays to run for 36 yards with efforts of 13 and 23 yards to score.

Following the tying score with just over 11 minutes left, neither offense could capitalize.

Washington & Lee fumbled and Nick Martin (Round Hill/Loudoun Valley) recovered, but then the Tigers missed a 30-yard field goal.

The Generals took the late lead on an eight play, 80-yard drive.

With just over two minutes on the clock, the Tigers moved the ball down the field, getting to the Generals’ four-yard line with 46 seconds remaining.

The General defense stood strong, however, keeping the Tigers out of the end zone and keeping the seven point lead.

On the day, Hampden-Sydney had a strong offensive showing, putting up 506 yards of offense with 357 passing and 149 rushing. Moore was 28-of-44 with 357 yards, three touchdowns and one interception.

Johnson and Perryman both had strong days with Johnson catching 11 passes for 141 yards and two scores and Perryman going 95 yards with a score on five catches. Michael Mey (Glen Allen/VMI) and Mel Savarese (Winchester/James Woods) added a combined seven catches for 94 yards.

On the ground, Koonce was again the workhorse with 160 yards and a touchdown on 35 carries.

He added three catches for 18 yards.

Defensively, Hampden-Sydney held the Generals well under their 477.5 rushing yards-per-game average with 359 allowed. Larry Haskins (Buckingham/Fuqua) led all players with 14 tackles.

Tyler Martin (Evington/Brookville) and Jay Brooks (Virginia Beach/Cox) had 11 and nine stops, respectively.

Ryan Mallory (Mechanicsville/Hanover), A.J. Eubank (Winchester/James Woods), and Nick Martin all had six stops each.

The Tigers will again hit the road, returning to action Saturday, as they face the Wasps of Emory & Henry. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.