McDonalds reopens after two-alarm grease fire
Published 8:10 am Saturday, October 31, 2015
A two-alarm grease fire evacuated and temporarily closed McDonalds in Farmville Saturday morning.
Flames were visible inside the 306 S. Main Street location at a piece of kitchen equipment at about 7:20 a.m. when volunteer firefighters arrived on scene. The building was filled with smoke when crews arrived, and employees stood at a distance.
“It was a grease fire in the fryer, but we’re not sure exactly what started it,” Farmville Fire Chief Andrew Goss said. “It burned the fryer up.”
Email newsletter signup
Crews were able to quickly extinguish the flames.
The damage to the building was very minimal, Goss said. “Crews got there soon enough where there was very minimal damage … Crews got there quickly so it didn’t spread to anything.”
Crews were on scene for about an hour and a half.
Along with volunteers from Farmville Volunteer Fire Department, crews from Hampden Sydney Volunteer Fire Department also responded.
The business reopened Saturday afternoon.