PE's Upset Bid Falls Short

Published 4:54 pm Tuesday, November 2, 2010

FARMVILLE – So close.

The Prince Edward County High School football team led most of the way in its bid to upset Greensville on Senior Night in Farmville, but couldn't close the door as the visitors stormed back from a fourth-quarter deficit to take a 28-16 victory over the hosts on Friday night.

How close did the PE Eagles come to getting their first victory over a team other than Bluestone in two seasons? It was almost literally in their grasps.

Email newsletter signup

The Eagles nursed a 16-6 lead with a little over nine minutes remaining in the contest, but Greensville, which tried and failed to cap drives with scores several times on the night, seemingly had another come to a sudden stop when Prince Edward's Milton Monk stepped in front of a shallow pass at the PE 30-yard line. With nothing between Monk and the goalline, the sophomore was unable to secure the interception that would've almost assured victory for the PE Eagles.

“It's one of those plays when you see it, you know if he can get the ball, it's six points,” said PECHS head coach Terrence Edmonds. “When it bounced off, it gave them another opportunity, which they used to turn the momentum. We still had the lead, even after the score.”

A newly-inspired Greensville team that switched quarterbacks in the second half did take the lead for good moments later on a 55-yard punt return that gave the Greensville Eagles a 21-16 lead with time still left for Prince Edward to rally.

However, the momentum had fully swung to Greensville, which added an insurance touchdown late in the game to put the contest out of reach, following an interception return of quarterback Tyrek Goode deep into PE territory.

“It's what happens to teams that haven't learned how to put games away,” said Edmonds. “Our defense played well into the fourth quarter. We just let too many opportunities slip away. When you don't take advantage of them, a good team is going to find a way to come back like they did.”

Playing as the decided underdog, Prince Edward started the game with some trickery. PE kicker Michael Lawrence popped the kickoff high enough into the air, to allow PE to run under it and take over possession inside of Greensville territory.

The homestanding Eagles took the ball down the field and scored on a five-yard run by Ralick Lockett, which was set up by a long pass reception by George Evans.

Greensville tied the game at 6-6, but PE edged back in front with a safety on a high punt snap through the end zone. Just before halftime, Goode hit Raheem Nash on a 63-yard touchdown pass, and Lockett converted the two-point try to give PE a ten-point lead at the half.

Prince Edward was unable to extend its lead, despite a couple of trips deep into Greensville territory. At the end of the third quarter, the PE Eagles stopped Greensville on downs inside the Prince Edward five-yard-line. They would advance the ball to the Greensville 34, where PE would then turn the ball over on downs, setting up Greensville's furious late-game rally.

Nash was 2-3 passing for 70 yards, while Goode was 1-2 passing for 63 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

Lockett led the Eagles on the ground with 81 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries. Evans had two catches for 70 yards, while Nash had one reception for a 63-yard touchdown.

Defensively, PE was led by Noah Bowman who had 14 tackles (11 solo) and a sack in his final home game, while Lockett had 12 stops (nine solo) and Isaiah Davis had 11 (five solo) with a sack. Raheem Smith had an interception and a fumble recovery to go along with six tackles on the night.