Give Your Pets All Your Love
Editor, The Herald:
Having moved to the Prince Edward, Farmville area five years ago, I was expecting a serene country setting after living in a major city. Overall, it has been an enjoyable time, except for the treatment I see or lack of, some of the pet owners in this area give their pets.
There is not a day that I don't see a dead or wounded dog or cat on the road as I go to work or to town.
Please if you love your pet, have it spayed or neutered and keep it in a safe fenced area where it can run and have some shelter. Why have a pet if you cannot love and care for it properly.
I see dogs tied up that I have seen in the same spot for at least five years. Are they allowed to exercise? I believe the owners of such dogs should be ashamed of themselves. How would you like to be tied up to a short rope in the heat and cold your entire life? It's appalling!
Please, please have a heart and be a responsible pet owner, they love and depend on you for all their care.
Cheryl Lynn Gingrich
P.S.: Ten Commandments for a responsible dog owner
1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, and your entertainment, I have only you.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not be bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.
10. Go with me on difficult journeys, never say, “I can't bear to watch it” or “Let it Happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there, Remember, I love you!